This is the first post for this brand new website, cyberdeckthegame.com. I am working on a video game engine. The idea is something I could see in my mind going as far back as 2012 or so. At first it seemed fairly easy to implement, but an abandoned attempt in 2012 left me feeling I was in over my head and not quite up to the task. I did write a 3d engine in 2012, but it was sloppy and in many cases just plain wrong. However, additional experience has given me the polish I have needed in my own programming skills--not to mention the focus--to try and make another stab at it. So far the progress has been extremely encouraging.
I wrote a loader for Wavefront Alias OBJ file format in a day. I wrote a system to render Truetype fonts. That took a week to crack, but now its done. My rendering pathway feels abstracted enough to be flexable going forward, at least for a first game. I have started slapping together a Lua sub-system. This is taking a bit of work, but 50% of the game or more will probably be built with Lua so its worth the extra effort.
Here is a video from one of the very first incarnations where I got something running and mouse-look in. Worth noting is that I am using Matrix Rotation here for mouse look. I later switched it to quaternion to avoid gimblelock.